New Horizons Scholarship Application and Eligibility Rules
2023 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION OPEN
Applications are due February 1, 2023.
Announcing the Availabililty of a $1,500 New Horizons Scholarship
The Franklin Krause Foundation, established within the South Dakota Community Foundation, is pleased to announce a $1,500 scholarship will be made available for one eligible scholarship applicant for 2023. The Franklin Krause New Horizons Scholarship is available for residents of Roberts and Custer County, South Dakota and Richland County, North Dakota or contiguous counties.
Few scholarships are available specifically for non-traditional students who have decided to further their careers after being in the workforce for some time or for pursuing a degree at a skilled trade technical institute. The New Horizons Scholarship helps fill this void.
In 2020, the Franklin Krause Foundation launched the New Horizons Scholarship to honor Franklin’s lifelong agricultural pursuits, small business career and philanthropic interests.
Eligibility will be based on the following criteria:
- Must have completed high school (or obtained a GED) and are currently in the workforce for at least three (3) years and are/will be attending any eligible post-secondary school (commonly referred to as an older-than-average student); OR any qualified student who will be attending an eligible two-year skilled trade technical institute focused on a mechanical trade or agriculture
- Must be living in Custer (SD), Roberts (SD) or Richland (ND) county (or contiguous counties) and enrolled in an eligible post-secondary accredited school
- Must submit a completed application and essay on why the applicant wants to further their education
- Must submit two (2) letters of recommendation
Selection will be based on:
- 25% Essay
- 25% Letter of recommendation
- 25% Financial need
- 15% Community involvement or volunteerism
- 10% Degree field and GPA
Applications and uploads of required documentation should be filled out online below.
Application deadline is February 1, 2023.
If paper copies are preferred, the completed New Horizons Scholarship Application and required documentation should be sent to:
Franklin Krause Foundation
New Horizons Scholarship
PO Box 79
Hermosa, SD 57744
* All distributions must be made directly to the institution the student is attending and must be a verified public charity under section 170 (b) (1) (a) of the IRS master file.